Is it possible to get a soundproof bed? This is one of the popular questions active couples or people with noisy neighbors ask in popular online communities.
So I decided to dig deeper and find out whether throughout the history of bed making noise free bed has ever been manufactured.
The type of bed you will need in this case should have the following characteristics- it shouldn’t squeak and at the same time it should offer noise reduction by blocking outside noises/sound waves (high-frequency sounds, low-frequency sounds) to enter inside by using soundproof material.
Does a soundproof bed really exist?
The simple answer is NO. You won’t ever find a truly noise free bed.
However there are several tactics you can implement to reduce noise coming through your living space to desirable levels. In other words, it’s better to focus on reducing background noise.
Additionally, there are some squeak-less bed frames that can help you deal with the noise problem.
What you can get instead- Because you can’t get a bed that is fully sound free, below are some options that can help you minimize noise problem.
1. Quiet Bed Frame
ZIYOO Bed Frame 16 Inch Wooden Slats Platform,3500lbs Heavy Duty, Strengthen Support Mattress Foundation, Quiet Noise Free, Full
- Sturdy Full Size Bed Frame: Bed frame is made of durable steel and solid wooden slats, 20% stronger and heavier than normal frame which can...
- Noise Free Non-slip: Full bed frame with unique integrated structure to reduce noise and keep mattress from slipping.
- No Box Spring Needed: Full bed frame wooden slats provide excellent support to your latex, memory foam or spring mattress without the need...
Most of your noise generated from your bed will come from your frame.
This bed frame provides a quiet, noise free experience with the strength of a 2″ think steel frame to support up to 3500 pounds of weight.
The bed frame has a unique integrated structure that makes it more comfortable, quiet and stable.
It fits heavy memory foam mattress and traditional mattress without the need for box springs. Further reducing the need for mattresses with noisy box springs.
If you’re looking for a quiet, sturdy bed frame this is an excellent option.
2. Sleeping Pod
Yes, you guessed it right. A few years ago, sleeping pods were only movie concepts.
The advancement of technology has made it possible for humankind to make that movie technology a reality.
A sleeping pod/capsule will give you the desired privacy without compromising your sleep.
It’ll also help you deal with stress and relax better.
A capsule is heatproof, light and soundproof. Inside this pod are pre-programmed lights, heated mattress to keep you warm through the night and some soothing music to send you straight into the dream world.
It’s worth noting you could get a soundproof enclosure such as sleeping pod, however a sleep enclosure solution is not ideal as it’s expensive and makes users feel claustrophobic while not providing enough space or air circulation.
3. Canopy Beds
You’ve probably heard of noise reducing curtains right? They are made of heavy materials that help block out unwanted noise.
The same case applies for canopy beds with heavy curtains that will help minimize the amount of noise coming through in your soundproof bed.
What you should do:
If you have canopy bed your next step would be to install thick noise reducing curtains or hang some moving blankets around the bed.
Cover all round to make sure that you block out as much sound as possible.
Below are some options you have as far as getting a canopy setup for your bed.
a) Twinkle Star 4 Corner Post Bed Canopy for Full/Queen/King Size Bed (Elegant Black)
- HIGH QUALITY- The extra fine mesh fabric of 4 Corner Post Bed Canopy serves as a natural repellent, provide proper air circulation, keep...
- WIDELY APPLICABLE - Fit to a variety of models of bed, including single bed, twin full queen, double bed, king size bed. It is also ideal...
- EASY INSTALLATION - Only takes seconds to hang the hoop from the ceiling and adjust the net, anyone could do it. Four hanging hook and four...
Let’s say you have a beautiful, quiet bed frame and you just need to add a canopy for noise deduction.
The 4 Corner Post Bed Canopy is designed with high quality fabric that can be used with any sized bed. It’s super easy to install and backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
The four posts canopies are strong enough to withstand the heaviest fabric you’d want to use to block out unwanted noise. It’s like soundproof curtains for your bed.
b) Bakersfield European Canopy Bed
- All-Round Protection with a Top : Classical 4 openings design, provides you with a space of comfort. It's more scientific to help you have a...
- Gorgeous Design: More than a simple net, ingenious bed curtains design makes your own bed an artwork, create an atmosphere of elegance and...
- Premium Quality & Chemical Free: Made of high quality polyester, bring a softer feeling in touching. Totally environmental friendly, a...
If you need a bed canopy frame, then this is a good option for you.
It is made of strong metal frame and side rails for enhanced stability and durability.
The gun metal gray finish makes this bed perfect for any setting.
It’s equipped with 22 metal slats for increase support and comfort.
The bed doesn’t require additional foundation or box spring.
The canopy is strong and durable making it perfect for hanging heavy curtains or blankets. As they will help to block out outside noise to manageable levels.
4. Sleeping Ear Muffs
A good night sleep is important for your health same as eating healthy and exercising.
If you live in a noisy environment where getting a peaceful night sleep is next to impossible a sleeping earmuff is the most efficient and affordable quick fix.
When you think about earmuffs, the first thing that comes in your mind is noise reduction.
These earmuffs are designed using soft material. Not only do they protect you from unwanted noise but also is comfortable and soft to your skin.
Some of the recommended ear muffs are reviewed here.
Quieting The Bedroom Instead- A Perfect Alternative
Another effective method to help deal with unwanted noise in your bed is through bedroom soundproofing.
The soundproofing can be done by implementing things such as soundproof curtains, soundproof blankets, installing acoustic panels, hanging heavy drapes or the use of white noise machines.
This means that you will have to undertake some simple DIY soundproofing project to quiet the bedroom.
You will have to deal with weak points such as the ceiling, floors, walls and windows in the room that allow outside noise inside or outside.
This means you’ve got to seal the gaps beneath the door using a door sweep and gaps on the window using weather stripping tape.
You can also add mass to the door to deal prevent noise coming through the door.
Deal With the Ceiling, Floor, Doors and Walls
Probably footfalls from the people living upstairs are making your nights unbearable.
If that’s the case, there are options on the table to deal with this type of noise.
First you can soundproof the ceiling. Secondly you can request those living upstairs to install thick carpets to reduce the amount of noise generated by footfalls.
You can install thick carpets in your bedroom as well to deal with noise coming from downstairs.
The best way to make any space be more quiet and comfortable not only for you but also for your visitors is by adding acoustic panels in the room.
Furthermore, using a soundproof door sweep allows you to seal up the gaps under your doors.
Remember these hacks won’t completely get rid of noise problem but instead reduce noise to more manageable levels.
Moving Blankets and Noise Reducing Curtains
One of the weakest points for noise in a bedroom is the windows. By hanging heavy drapes as soundproof curtains it will reduce the noise going in out and in of room from the windows.
- Elegant Design: 2 panels per package. Each Blackout Curtain measures 52" wide x 63" long. The design of silver grommet (1.6-inch inner...
- Amazing Material: Super heavy and soft Blackout Curtain Panels are very upmarket. Besides, 85%-99% light blocking, thermal insulated,...
- Wise Budget: Protect your furniture and floor exposed to the sun, while still helping you save money on heating and cooling your home....
Some of the most popular curtains that help block out noise include Nicetown Blackout curtains.
Noise reducing, soundproof blankets work similarly as soundproofing curtains.
They are heavy blankets made of heavy materials and the rule of thumb in soundproofing is that, the thicker the material the better.
- ✅ [Superior Quality - Made in USA] Durable and made of our proprietary sound absorption material, eco-C-tex, which is more eco-friendly...
- ✅ [Proven Effective - Lab Tested] Improves sound quality by reducing echo and reverb. Absorbs an average of 85% of sound waves that...
- ✅ [Easy to Install & Remove] Portable design with grommets and included hanging hardware. Use as an acoustic treatment over walls, doors,...
There are moving blankets specifically designed for noise proofing purposes and for this reason, they have grommets to make it easier to hook them on walls.
One of the recommended soundproof blankets is the Audimute noise insulating blanket.
White Noise Machines
After implementing all of our recommended solutions, you can drown out general noise by utilizing white noise machines or better yet, a simple quiet fan. White noise machines generate all frequencies equally that can mask loud noises.
Final Thoughts on Soundproof Bed
While there is no perfect solution, you won’t get a fully soundproofed bed anywhere, there are some hacks you can implement to reduce noise.
Whether you will want to deal with noise inside the bedroom or would want to deal with noise problem precisely where you sleep, the above DIY hack with soundproofing materials will help you achieve peaceful and quiet sleep.
Eitherway, it will help you deal with your own noise or your loud neighbors.